Re: RE: How to make an inline cell (inside a Text cell) to be a centered equation?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70517] Re: [mg70459] RE: [mg70416] How to make an inline cell (inside a Text cell) to be a centered equation?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 04:17:53 -0400 (EDT)

But a tab-indented line is not the same thing as a centered line!

A truly centered line would actually be centered horizontally on its
center no matter how the width of the line changed.

While it's possible to Center Align an entire cell, I don't see how to
center one line (or several lines) within a cell.

To: mathgroup at
> hello;
> I am trying to learn how to use Mathematica to write my homeworks with. The
> first thing I tried is the following:
> Start with a text cell, write something, then create an inline cell
> (Ctrl-9), then write some equation. Now I want this equation to be centered
> equation. In Latex terms, this equation will be on its own new line and will
> be centered on the line.
> I found I can make numbered equations using report style. But that is not
> what I am looking for exactly. Also tried 'display formula' and 'inline
> formula'.
> I need a short cut to make any inline cell be a centered equation easily
> without having to copy it and manually trying to center it on its own line.
> Is it possible to do this in Mathematica? I am using 5.2
> thanks,
> Nasser

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305