Re: Solve with dot products

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70741] Re: Solve with dot products
  • From: dh <dh at>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 01:40:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Oliver,
the manual and you are both right. The manual says about InverseFunction:
  "InverseFunction[f][y] gives the value of x for which f[x] is equal to y"
therefore, InverseFunction[Dot,1,3][d,b,c] means, that value of x, that
makes Dot[x,b,c] equal to d and this is exactly your a. This solution is
implicite, wheras your solution is explicite and because of the
inversion, b and c are reversed.