Re: Re: Searching for a function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70862] Re: [mg70854] Re: Searching for a function
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 05:32:25 -0500 (EST)

As I said in my earlier response, you can always use a CONSTANT function
from a nonempty set A to a nonempty set B.  And a constant function will
be continuous no matter what the topologies on A and B.

Moreover, if your problem is "constructing" such a function, then at
least when B is defined by means of equalities and inequalities, you
could use FindInstance to pick some element of B to use as the constant

Perhaps you've still not asked the question you really are trying to ask.

Bonny Banerjee wrote:
> I am looking for continuous functions only from set A to set B. Sorry for
> not making it clear.
> --Bonny.
> "Bonny Banerjee" <banerjee.28 at> wrote in message
> news:ehv8vp$g6f$1 at
>> Is it possible for Mathematica to solve this problem:
>> Given sets A and B, does there exist a function from A to B? If yes, what
>> is
>> the function?
>> Here is an example:
>> Let, A = {x such that 0<x<11 and Mod[x,2]==0}
>> B = {y such that 0<y<11 and Mod[y+1,2]==0}
>> Then, there exists a function from A to B
>> y = x - 1
>> Thus, is there a way to specify arbitrary sets A, B, and use Mathematica
>> figure out whether there exits a function from A to B or not?
>> Thanks,
>> Bonny.

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305