Re: generalized foldlist problem - part 2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69184] Re: [mg69138] generalized foldlist problem - part 2
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 06:41:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 31 Aug 2006, at 20:49, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> (PS. In answering part 1 I obviously misunderstood your question,
> but I think that was mainly because I do not think your function is
> in any way a "generalisation of Fold", or even of Fold
> [Plus,element,list]. As far as I can see it does not really perform
> any kind of "folding".

On second thoughts, I withdraw most of that PS. Taking list2=
{1,1,1,...} in your original function, we certainly get a
generalisation of FoldList[Plus,First[list1],Rest[list1]], so the
subject name "generalised foldlist problem" is not entirely
unjustified. However, it seems to me that describing the function in
this way  confuses rather then clarifies what the function does
(hence, I think, Jens remarks in reply to your original post and my
comment above). It seems to me that the best description of your
problem is terms of the matrix that you used in part 2. Could you,
perhaps, explain how this problem arose and what you are "really
trying to do"?

Andrzej Kozlowski