memory leak problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69425] memory leak problem
  • From: mario.ivanov at risoe.dk
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 06:52:39 -0400 (EDT)

I use 3 nested loops, and a core inside.
I dont accumulate any arrays of data in the core.
However if the steps of the loops are too fine (i.e. when the number of
cycles increases)
The program works slower and slower (I know because I Print a
precentage indicator, taken from the value of the counter of the outer
loop)
If I look in the task manager I see that mathematica uses more and more
memory, thus finally eating all the physical RAM.
Then Mathematica uses only few percent of the CPU time because the
system takes the time in order to deal with the memory problem.

Using Share[] inside the outer loop (but outside the other 2 loops)
doesn't help too much.
I don't want to put Share[] in the most inner loop, because then it
will take time itself .

What could be the reason for this memory leak, and what should I do ?

In theory any number of loops must work with the same memory
(approximately). Is that right ?

Thank you!