function's local constants interdependence

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69612] function's local constants interdependence
  • From: "rych" <rychphd at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 06:58:08 -0400 (EDT)

Could someone please help me find a decent way to have local constants
defined using one another in order?
Simple "With[" doesn't work:

Clear[a,b,x,y]
ff[x_,y_]:=With[{a=x, b=2*a},{a,b}]
ff[x,y]
> {x,2 a}

where I'd like it be >{x, 2 x}. I suspect it would work with "Module["
but I especially wanted them to be constants.

Do I have to nest With[ ? Or is there a prettier way?
Thanks
Igor