Re: Warning Message wrt NMinimize function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69758] Re: Warning Message wrt NMinimize function
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:04:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

regardless of the fact that your input is
nonsense, because
your objective function does not depend on y at
all
With[{n = 4},
  aa = Table[Random[], {n}];
  bb = Table[Random[], {n}];
  NMinimize[{Plus @@ Table[(aa[[i]] - bb[[i]])^2,
{i, n}], {y > 0}}, y,
    Method -> "DifferentialEvolution"]
 ]

work fine for me and I assume, that you hide some
facts to prevent
us from answer your question.

Regards
  Jens

"John Adeosun" <jtadeosun at yahoo.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:eeu01h$b83$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Hello Everyone,
|
| I want to use NMinimize to solve an optimization
problem. In essence, I'm
| trying to numerically minimize the "sum of a
square of errors" for two
| lists, aa and bb (earlier generated lists of n
elements or points), using
| the below syntax:
|
| NMinimize[{Plus @@ Table[(aa[[i]] - bb[[i]])^2,
{i, n}], {y> 0}}, y,
| Method -> "DifferentialEvolution"]
| This does not yield the intended result of, say,
{minimumvalue, y->10.012}.
| I have been getting an expression (unevaluated
"result" ) with a warning
| message such as:
|
| NMinimize::nnum : The function value {336.381}
is not a number at {y}=
| {0.063703}. More...
|
| I then clicked on 'More' for help. I got the
below message from the help
| browser:
|
| "General::nnum
|
| function::nnum: The function value `3` is not a
number at `2` = `1`.

| Notes for this message have not yet been added."
|
| Has anyone experienced this before? Is anything
wrong with my syntax above?