Re: Table command strange output when 'i' over 16

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69827] Re: Table command strange output when 'i' over 16
  • From: albert <awnl at arcor.de>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 23:45:42 -0400 (EDT)

Nasser Abbasi wrote:

> Table[0,{i,1,2},{i,1,2}]
> Table[0,{i,1,3},{i,1,3}]
> Table[0,{i,1,4},{i,1,4}]
>
> etc... all the way to
>
> Table[0,{i,1,15},{i,1,15}]
>
> I always get a 2D square  Matrix filled with zeros as I expected.
>
> But when I type
>
> Table[0,{i,1,16},{i,1,16}]

in my opinion it is clearly a bug that mathematica accepts any of those
inputs without complaining about the use of i as an iterator twice. I would
expect an error message for all of these cases and the expression returned
unevaluated.

What are you trying to do? If you don't make use of the iterator you could
use just:

Table[0,{16},{16}]

which works correctly. If for whatever reason you need iterators, what would
you expect

Table[i,{i,1,3},{i,1,3}]

to return? Unfortunately hardly any software is written careful enough to
deal with input that makes no sense, so I have given up to expect something
like this to give reasonable results (which could only be a useful error
message in this case)...

hth,

albert