RE: Copying cell contents?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69874] RE: [mg69829] Copying cell contents?
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 05:21:17 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I have tried to reproduce your error message, but not succeded completely.
The closest I get I obtain by executing the following command:

expression /. {ProjectInformation["/Users/AES/Application
Data/Mathematica/Applications/MyAdvancedCalculations"]}

(with just a space between Application and Data). I have an old palette
created by Bobby Treat CopyAsInputForm, which does the work fairly well. You
might also try my CopyAsInputFormK button in my SetFaceAndFont Palette,
downloadable from http://web.telia.com/~u31815170/Mathematica/. It also does
a fairly good job, but has problems with the space between Application and
Data. (It is interpreted as a multiplication sign, andI cannot promise that
I am able to fix this.) However, I did the following quite complicated
operation:

Select the cell, and apply "Show Expression" (Shift+Ctrl+E in Windows). Add
the option ShowStringCharacters->True to the cell expression, and turn "Show
expression" off. What you obtain is ReplaceAll::"reps" : plus a long string,
containing second level, embedded strings. Such embedded strings might cause
some troubles. Select this long string and press the Peel button in my
SetFaceAndFont Palette. This turns the long string into an unevaluated
expression, and the second level strings become first-level strings. You can
then select the "More..." link and apply Peel once more. Then the link is
replaced by its button expression. Then use the CopyAsInputFormK button to
copy the whole expression. If it then is pasted into the email editor, the
following is obtained:

 ReplaceAll::"reps": { ProjectInformation["/Users/AES/Application
Data/Mathematica/Applications/MyAdvancedCalculations"]} is neither a list of
replacement rules nor a valid dispatch table, and so cannot be used for
replacing. Button[ More\[Ellipsis], ButtonData :> "ReplaceAll::reps",
ButtonStyle -> "RefGuideLinkText", ButtonFrame -> "None"]

You might then hand edit "\[Ellipsis]" to become "..." if you like. I think
this is a quite good text representation of the error message.

You could of course variations of this theme, giving you similar results. In
your case, when your expression has been truncated by the Ellipsis
construction, you should of course substitute the native expression.

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl
Sweden

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net