strange random behavior ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69908] strange random behavior ?
  • From: Arkadiusz.Majka at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 06:04:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

For

SeedRandom[7]
Table[Random[Integer, {1, 6}], {5}]
Table[Random[Integer, {1, 3}], {5}]

I get

Out[32]=
{2,1,6,2,6}

Out[33]=
{2,1,3,1,3}

When i repeat I obviosly get the same (magic of seedrandom)

SeedRandom[7]
Table[Random[Integer, {1, 6}], {5}]
Table[Random[Integer, {1, 3}], {5}]

Out[32]=
{2,1,6,2,6}

Out[33]=
{2,1,3,1,3}

Bu when I change the range of random numbers in generation of the first
list , say 1->2

SeedRandom[7]
Table[Random[Integer, {2, 6}], {5}]
Table[Random[Integer, {1, 3}], {5}]

I get

Out[35]=
{3,2,3,6,6}

Out[36]=
{2,2,3,1,3}

Since Seed is still the same (7), why second list is changed? (Out[36]
does not equal to Out[33])

This behavior does not take place when we do not deal with tables but
with single elements.

Arek