Kernel closes after nested function returns

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74710] Kernel closes after nested function returns
  • From: Lawrence Walker <lwalker701 at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 04:20:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've been experiencing a problem where the kernel and all of my mathlink
  programs quits.  Upon debugging with Workbench, I saw that mathlink
returns an error when returning from a called function.

The scenario goes like this: I run a package containing definitions for
function A and function B.  When I run funcA during the notebook
session, I pass a very large list to funcA.  funcA then calls funcB and
passes the large list to it.  funcB returns its results to funcA.  Next
funcA finish performing all of its calculations.  Finally, funcA
prepares to return its results to the notebook session.  And thats when
the kernel quits with no warning.

After further debugging, I found that everything works when passing
smaller lists.  So, I suspect a memory problem.

I solved the problem by modifying funcA to not have to call funcB.  Now
I can work with very large lists.

But this still doesn't solve a problem that could be related to
Mathematica 5.2.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Lawrence