Re: how to get the area of circles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74799] Re: how to get the area of circles
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 04:16:57 -0400 (EDT)

doufunao wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I'm working on a project. I need to calculate the area of many circles
> in a 2D space which may overlap each other.
> It's quite complicated. I am not sure whether mathematica can do this.
> Is there any software/lib/package available already?
> thanks.

How precise do you need the answer to be? One approach would be to set
up a large 2D grid of True values and take each circle and set all the
grid values covered by that circle to False. After you have finished,
simply count the remaining True values!

If you need an exact (analytic) answer that will obviously not be good
enough.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk