RowReduce and SparseArray

Hi all,

I need to compute the reduced row echelon form of a very large but
sparse matrix, stored as a SparseArray. Unfortunately, it seems that
in Mathematica 5.2 the function RowReduce always returns a non-sparse
array, which is impossible in my case because that would have 2^32
elements:

SystemException[SparseArrayNormalLimit, Normal[SparseArray[<1042318>,
{65536,65536}]]]

Would you know an alternative to RowReduce which does not resort to
full arrays, but will return a sparse array and do all its internal
calculations in terms of these?

Thanks!
Roman.