RowReduce and SparseArray

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg74903] RowReduce and SparseArray
  • From: "Roman" <rschmied at>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:02:32 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I need to compute the reduced row echelon form of a very large but
sparse matrix, stored as a SparseArray. Unfortunately, it seems that
in Mathematica 5.2 the function RowReduce always returns a non-sparse
array, which is impossible in my case because that would have 2^32

SystemException[SparseArrayNormalLimit, Normal[SparseArray[<1042318>,

Would you know an alternative to RowReduce which does not resort to
full arrays, but will return a sparse array and do all its internal
calculations in terms of these?