Re: small question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74904] Re: small question
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 06:03:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

here is a rule that replaces N1 x by  a new symbol:

rules = {(n_Symbol)*(x_Symbol) :> Symbol[StringJoin["N", SymbolName[x],

StringDrop[SymbolName[n], 1]]] /; StringMatchQ[SymbolName[n],"N*"]}

However, there is a pitfall. Ther rule assumes that the constant and

variable are directly multiplied in your expression, that is like e.g.:

N1 x + N2 y, but not like x(N1 + N2) or N1(x+y).

Daniel