Re: Re: Can Maximize return a function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74952] Re: [mg74905] Re: Can Maximize return a function
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 04:55:05 -0400 (EDT)

The reason is that Resolve (rather than ForAll) depends on
CylindricalDecomposition, which requires exact input, as  does the
entire classical apparatus of real and complex polynomial algebra.
There, are however, some versions of algebraic algorithms that work
with inexact numbers and in fact Mathematica implements some of them
(e.g. numerical Groebner basis, inexact root isolation), but they are =

primarily meant for "internal use" of developers and not well
documented. (In fact,  Mathematica's ability to implement quite
effectively approximate versions of some of the most important
algorithms of  polynomial algebra is one of the most notable features =

of the model of arithmetic, known as "significance arithmetic", used
by Mathematica  and something that critics of this model, such as
Richard Fateman, never seem to want to discuss).

Andrzej Kozlowski