what does this error message mean

Hello,
  I get an error message:
  The function value `3` is not a number at `2` = `1`.
  I want to learn what does it mean? What do I have to do?

   (I was using FindFit and FindMinimum functions in Mathematica 5.2. Both of them didn't yield the intended results and showed the above error message.)

  Thanks in advance for your useful insight.

  Fulya

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.