Re: neat way to program minimum of sum

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg75139] Re: [mg75072] neat way to program minimum of sum
  • From: anguzman at
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 05:03:55 -0400 (EDT)

I think you mean:
f(t) = min{n>0 : X1 + ... + Xn > t}
I believe that your current implementation calls Random[] too many
times. That is, it tries with a random list of "i" elements and if it
doesn't fullfill the request in the while loop, generates another list
of "i+1" elements.
Unless this feature is  absolutely necessary
I think that a more compact and efficient way could be this recursive

f[t_?(#1 >= 0 & )] := 1 + f[t - Random[]];

It calls Random[] the strictly necessary number of times. The only
problem is that it's defined as zero for negative values. I believe
that these variables are called negative binomials.
Hope this could help

Atte. Andres Guzman

P. Kaminski" <cgenie at> ha escrito: