Re: Sometimes <space> means multiple , sometimes not

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75348] Re: [mg75307] Sometimes <space> means multiple , sometimes not
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 03:29:34 -0400 (EDT)

What's the problem?  Every mathematician "knows" what each of the
expressions below is supposed to mean, and they know they mean exactly
what Mathematical is telling you they mean.

The usual mathematical conventions are being followed here, which use a
hierarchy specifying an order of precedence.

Traditional mathematical notation is a real mess: it's a wonder anybody
ever learns it.  If you want a rational, consistent notation, use APL or J!

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305