Re: remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75401] Re: remote kernel
  • From: Roman <rschmied at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 05:59:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Steve and others,

I am having trouble using VPN to do what you want to do. At work,
where I have a static IP, I use almost the same settings as you do
except I prefix "-LinkName 53001,53002" to the arguments to MLOpen,
then punch a hole into the OSX firewall at those two ports. Not sure
why, but it works.

When I'm at home, I can use the Cisco VPN client to connect to the
work intranet, and everything works fine except the remote Mathematica
kernel. In fact, the kernel is started on the remote machine, but
fails to connect back to my laptop for some reason. I then have to
open a terminal and kill the MathKernel.

Maybe this is a Cisco problem. In Princeton you can use the OSX
builtin VPN client
    http://helpdesk.princeton.edu/kb/display.plx?id=9278
to connect to campus. Maybe you'll have better luck with this one than
with the Cisco product. If that is the case, please let me know so I
know where to look for a solution for the Cisco VPN.

Cheers!
Roman.