Convective diffusion equation in 2D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79741] Convective diffusion equation in 2D
  • From: dantimatter <dantimatter at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 06:27:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a nice and neat way to numerically solve the
convective diffusion equation

da/dt = D (d^2/dx^2 + d^2/dy^2) a - v da/dx

where a is the concentration of my solute, D is the diffusion
constant, and v is the surrounding fluid velocity in the x direction.
I thought that there was a small chance that maybe someone else here
has attempted something similar.
Is it even possible to solve this equation? As always, any suggestions
would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan