Re: Updated Mathematica Documentation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79819] Re: [mg79700] Updated Mathematica Documentation?
  • From: Todd Gayley <tgayley at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 04:57:56 -0400 (EDT)

At 02:48 AM 8/2/2007, David Park wrote:
>I have been under the impression that with 6.0 and Internet access there
>would be periodic automatic updates of documentation. I wonder if any of
>this has actually occurred? Would one know when this is happening? I have
>experienced automatic downloading of data from WRI servers, but never seen
>any sign of documentation updating.

David,

Documentation updates are delivered only on demand (that is, if you
actually view a page for which an update is available). In most
cases, documentation notebooks are so small that you might not even
notice that an update was downloaded.

If you want to know whether you have received any on-demand
documentation updates, look in your
$UserBaseDirectory/Paclets/Repository directory. If you see a
SystemDocumentation directory there, then you have received at least
one updated file. Users who always keep up to date by installing the
very latest version of Mathematica will see less documentation
download activity.

Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research