importing avi files

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg79834] importing avi files
  • From: zzzz <giarc54 at>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 03:37:38 -0400 (EDT)

I keep getting this message:

Import::installreq: Codec is supported only if Java Media Framework \
Performance Pack is installed. >>

Well I believe it's installed. and the diagnostic applet online says

I've been using this line of code.

pics = Import["Movie.avi", "GraphicsList"];

 The Movie.avi is an avi file on my working directory.

I don't seem to have a problem importing avi files that were exported

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the java media framework several
but no good.
Often the program keeps running but I get the out of memory message.
So maybe files to big?
How many frames does the average laptop handle?

Are other people able to import avi films not generated by
Any Ideas?