How to extract generated plot data (or mesh data) from a Graphics3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79850] How to extract generated plot data (or mesh data) from a Graphics3D
  • From: Ham Sha <takshakh at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 01:24:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, everyone

I would be thankful if someone can help me on this problem:
I am using Mathematica 6.0 and it introduces new graphical capabilities that is not compatible with ver. 5.2, I could extract generated mesh data from a Plot3D for further manipulation using for instance the following code:

p=Plot3D[Sin[x] y, {x, 0, 4}, {y, 0, 4}]
p // FullForm (* to see the structure of p *)
p[[1, 1]] (* a list of mesh points in p *)

now in ver. 6.0 I cannot exctract mesh data from a Graphics3D object especially when used with built in commands like Sphere[...] like this:

g = Graphics3D[Sphere[{0, 0, 0}, 1]]
g // InputForm (* !!! no useful output to extract mesh data !!!!*)

thank you in advance
Ham Sha