Re: ListPlot problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80088] Re: ListPlot problem
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 07:17:32 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/9/07 at 5:27 AM, chris at chiasson.name (Chris Chiasson) wrote:

>Steps to repeat: 1. Evaluate the following command.
>ListPlot[{{1,0.032},{2,0.067},{5,0.183}},Frame->True]

>2. Notice the unsightly line in the middle of the graph.

>Speculation: The axes are still being drawn.

Right. The default is to draw axes. If you do not specify no
Axes are to be drawn when using Frame->True whether or not you
see the line you describe will depend on specifics of the data
being plotted and the setting of AxesOrigin. If the data
combined with the setting of AxesOrigin would cause the axes to
be drawn very near frame, drawing of the axes is suppressed. In
any other case, the axes are drawn

Compare the plot you get with:

ListPlot[Join[{{1, 0}, {0, 1}}, RandomReal[{0, 1}, {10, 2}]],
  Frame -> True]

ListPlot[Join[{{1, 0}, {0, 1}}, RandomReal[{0, 1}, {10, 2}]],
  Frame -> True, AxesOrigin -> {0, .5}]

I've intentionally designed the data set so the extreme points
will lie on an axes with origin {0,0}, the natural choice for an
origin when the data contains points near {0,0}. This forces the
frame to be drawn very near where the axes would be drawn if
there where no frame. Consequently, no axes is drawn.

The second plot chooses an origin guaranteed to be near the mean
of the y values. Consequently, a horizontal line appears.

>Other info: Axes->False will remove the line.

Right. Now you have specifically told Mathematica not to draw
the axes.

>However, this also
>prevents the (ab)use of AxesOrigin to set one of the corners of the
>Frame while leaving the rest automatic.

I do not understand what you are trying to do here at all and
consequently don't see why explicitly specifying no axes are to
be drawn is a problem