Re: Complexity explosion in linear solve

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg80288] Re: Complexity explosion in linear solve
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 07:22:18 -0400 (EDT)

carlos at wrote:

>> Try Method->"OneStepRowReduction" (without quotes, if in versions < 6) and
>> see if that helps.

>> Daniel Lichtblau
>> Wolfram Research
> When I tried that option under version 5.2 for Mac OS X,
> the expression returns unevaluated.  I could not find documentation
> for it; what does it do?

Have you tried without quotes? Without quotes surrounding the value for
the option, the following works fine on my system.

mat = {{1, 2, 3}, {1, 3, 4}};
b = {5, 8};
x = LinearSolve[mat, b, Method -> OneStepRowReduction]

5.2 for Microsoft Windows (June 20, 2005)

{-1, 3, 0}

(More information can be found in Michael Trott's _The Mathematica
GuideBook for Programming_, p 826: "Method is an option for the commands
LinearSolve, Inverse, RowReduce (to be treated soon), and NullSpace. It
defines the internal algorithm to be used in the computation. Default:
Automatic. Admissible: DivisionFreeRowReduction or CofactorExpansion or