Re: Mathematica 6.0 bug in computing MathieuC

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80375] Re: Mathematica 6.0 bug in computing MathieuC
  • From: chuck009 <dmilioto at comcast.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 03:40:56 -0400 (EDT)

> Dear all,
> Something is still worng with the algorithm behind
> computing MathieuC. It
> reprts, for instance that MathieuC is pi-periodic
> when its not.

Hey T, I was unable to cause the following code to fail to give a pi-periodic function "poly" for any natural number r and parameter q:

r = 4;
q = -3 - 3*I
a = N[MathieuCharacteristicA[r, q]]
poly = MathieuC[a, q, x]/Exp[I*r*x];
p1 = Plot[Im[poly], {x, 0, 10}];
linelist = (Line[{{#1*Pi, -3}, {#1*Pi, 3}}] & ) /@ Range[1, 3]
Show[{p1, Graphics[linelist]}]

where the division by Exp[irx] is a consequence of Floquet's Theorem.