Unit testing in Mathematica or Wolfram Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80400] Unit testing in Mathematica or Wolfram Workbench
  • From: "Andrew Moylan" <andrew.j.moylan at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 05:05:46 -0400 (EDT)

I want to set up unit tests for a numerical algorithm. I'd like to test the
timing of the algorithm (and consider 1.00 seconds and 1.02 seconds as the
same, etc) and the numerical result (and consider 5.6000000000 and
5.6000000002 to be the same result, etc).

1. Is the testing system in Wolfram Workbench adequate for this purpose? Can
it do the kind of "fuzzy" comparisons I sometimes require? I can't find much
documentation on this testing system beyond the screencast at
http://www.wolfram.com/products/workbench/workflow/WorkbenchTesterDemo.html
and the small amount of written how-to type information in the Workbench
help. Can someone point me to more documentation?

2. Is there an existing add-on package that is good for this purpose?

3. What does Wolfram use internally for unit testing of Mathematica code?