  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg80452] JLink
  • From: dh <dh at>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:57:42 -0400 (EDT)

Mathematica 6 comes with an outdated Java. Therefore, it may be

necessary to use a newer version. A clumsy solution is to change the

Java in the installation. However, there was a better method that worked

before v6:

InstallJava takes an option "CommandLine" that specifies a command line

to start Java. In version 6 this does no more work correctly. If I say:

InstallJava[CommandLine->"name of new  java"]

the old Java of mathematica is loaded, despite the option. However, if I

prevent mathematica to find the java executable by renaming the

corresponding folder, the correct java is now loaded.