Re: PlotStyle in version 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80475] Re: PlotStyle in version 6
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 01:09:38 -0400 (EDT)

ben wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Could you please help me pointing out,
> why the following line of code
> produces to curves of the same plotstyle ?
>
> Plot[{t, 1 + t} /. vals, {t, 0, 10},
>  PlotStyle -> {{Red, Dashed}, {Blue}}]
>
> Cheers
> Ben

Using an expression that evaluates to a list (and not a single number)
as the first argument of Plot[] is a new convenience feature in
Mathematica 6.  Mathematica 5 would give an error message saying that
{t, 1 + t} /. vals does not evaluate to a number.

The drawback of this new feature is that is not possible to determine
the length of the list before the expression is evaluated.  In your
example Mathematica thinks that there is only one curve to be plotted (you used
a single expression and not a list as Plot's argument), so it uses a
single style.

You should use the following command:

Plot[{t, 1 + t} /. vals // Evaluate, {t, 0, 10},
      PlotStyle -> {{Red, Dashed}, {Blue}}]

Szabolcs

PS: Please give complete examples that can be evaluated without errors
in a new kernel session.  You did not specify the value of 'vals'.