Exporting Sound

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83821] Exporting Sound
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 05:48:10 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone succeeded in exporting sounds (as .wav) from v.6? The
documentation indicates that this is possible, but I could not find a
single example of how to actually do it.

As a simple example (I'm actually working with far more complicated
sounds), try this.

ding = SoundNote["F", 1, "Tinklebell"];

Sound[ding] brings up a GUI for playing the ding sound.

EmitSound[Sound[ding]] can be used to play the sound programatically.

But what is it that I'm supposed to export?

Export["ding.wav",ding] does not work,

nor does Export["ding.wav",Sound[ding]]

nor does Export["ding.wav",EmitSound[Sound[ding]]]
(I admit this last was a longshot, but I tried everything I could think of.)

Depending on whether I try to export the SoundNote itself, or the Sound,
or the EmitSound, I get error messages like:

First::normal: Nonatomic expression expected at position 1 in First[None].

Or:

Export::nodta: "Null contains no data that can be exported to the WAV
format."

Or:

Export::nodta: <<1>> contains no data that can be exported to the
WAV format."

So again, what is that I'm supposed to export?

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont