Re: Re: Re: Hiding number cell

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83948] Re: [mg83915] Re: [mg83888] Re: Hiding number cell
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 07:12:16 -0500 (EST)

Unlike you, perhaps, I do not READ code or output in an e-mail -- I
immediately (if it looks vaguely interesting) paste it into Mathematica
and run it. Frequently I find the code doesn't do what the post says it
does, and even more often, I want to modify it and see what happens THEN,
so this seems a useful strategy.

That frequently means, of course, that I've pasted output cells as well as
input, so I spend a few seconds deleting them. But even if I don't delete
them, it usually makes no difference. I usually don't paste interspersed
textual comments, but sometimes I do, and I have to delete those too.
Generally they're not in-line with the code (they certainly shouldn't
be!), so it's not hard to tell what's what. (* I'm not talking about
Mathematica comments, although I never use those, either. Until now. *)

Deleting In[..] and Out[..] "crap" (as I call it) is slightly more
tedious... it's usually in-line, and deleting it is mandatory, since the
code won't run while they are present.

It's true that posts without In and Out may (at times) leave a reader
wondering which lines are input and which are output (which to delete
under my strategy described above)... but evaluating them one at a time
(or all at once) will generally make it clear in seconds. Anyway, I think
an experienced reader can tell input from output most of the time just by
looking.

As for knowing in what order you've evaluated things... I evaluate from
the top down. Strange, I know, but that's just me! If I change anything I
reevaluate from there down, and if in doubt, I evaluate everything
(top-down) to that point. One line that, in fact, I often evaluate out of
order is:

Quit

but then I delete that cell.

Over time I've developed second-nature habits to support the overall
strategy. As you have done for your own strategy, of course.

Any number of things can cause me to delete an e-mail precipitously... and
a dozen In/Out instances is frequently one of them.

Nobody out there really needs my help, of course, so... to each his own!

Bobby

DrMajorBob at bigfoot.com