Re: Precedence of Infix Operator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84108] Re: Precedence of Infix Operator
  • From: "Jean-Marc Gulliet" <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:37:21 -0500 (EST)

David Park wrote:

> I would like to use some less common infix operator, such as Colon or
> VerticalBar, but give it a precedence on input greater than Times. Is there
> a way to do this?

David,

Though I have never tried myself, the online documentation tells us
that, "[...] it is possible to change the precedence of an operator
through the use of the TagBox option SyntaxForm. [1]" There are more
information in this advanced tutorial [2]. (Both relevant sections are
the last one of each tutorials, near the bottom of the pages.)

[1] "Changing Precedences in Notations" in _Precedence of Operators in
Notations_
Doc. Center: Notation/tutorial/PrecedenceOfOperatorsInNotations
Web:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/Notation/tutorial/PrecedenceOfOperatorsInNotations.html

[2] "Changing precedences and the TagBox option SyntaxForm" in _Complex
Patterns and Advanced Features_
Doc. Center: Notation/tutorial/ComplexPatternsAndAdvancedFeatures
Web:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/Notation/tutorial/ComplexPatternsAndAdvancedFeatures.html

Best regards,
--