Re: Insert a Math Symbol in Text in Notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84130] Re: Insert a Math Symbol in Text in Notebook?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:21:19 -0500 (EST)

In article <fj65pg$ft2$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 12/4/07 at 4:28 AM, jwa0 at lehigh.edu (John) wrote:
>
> >Using Mathematica 6.
>
> >Symbol is Subscript[p,i].
>
> >Tried ctrl 9 symbol cntrl 0. Didn't work.
>
> The keystrokes to enter this would be
>
> p ctrl - i
>
> At least this works fine for me with version 6 or earlier on a Mac.
> --
> To reply via email subtract one hundred and four

Way to remember this (if you know TeX):

Coding for P-sub-ij in TeX is $P_{ij}$ (in TeX underline indicates
following content is to be subscripted) and Shift-minus gives underline.

Evidently Mathematica stays close to this by having Ctrl-minus turn underlining
on.  Haven't looked into how to turn it off.