Re: Prefix Forms on the BasicMath Palette

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84156] Re: Prefix Forms on the BasicMath Palette
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 01:15:33 -0500 (EST)

I opened BasicMath Palette.nb in a text editor and located the
corresponding entries for those two buttons to be:

    RowBox[{
          SuperscriptBox["\[InvisiblePrefixScriptBase]",
          "\[Placeholder]"], "\[SelectionPlaceholder]"}]

    RowBox[{
          SubscriptBox["\[InvisiblePrefixScriptBase]",
          "\[Placeholder]"], "\[SelectionPlaceholder]"}]

The \[InvisiblePrefixScriptBase] is documented in the Documentation
Center on the page ref/character/InvisiblePrefixScriptBase as a
"Mathematica character".

Evidently, as others have noted, one cannot use the combinations shown
as is from the palette in order to create a legitimate symbol.  (Perhaps
there's some way, though, to include it in a larger construction in
order to create a symbol. I looked in the Notations package and didn't
directly see a way with Symbolize there.)

However, a Text cell definitely can accept such a thing, e.g., with x as
the Placeholder and y as the SelectionPlaceholder.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305