Services & Resources / Wolfram Forums / MathGroup Archive
-----

MathGroup Archive 2007

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Re: Prefix Forms on the BasicMath Palette


Hi All,

Let me correct my post below.

The only functionality I checked was that the symbols pasted into a  
notebook and could be edited to populate the placeholders.

I did not initially evaluate them but I have now and agree :-

2- the ones mentioned by David generate a syntax error.
> Mathematica apparently expects something more or something different
than undefined  a,b symbols.


Indeed having checked again for the rest of the last two rows in the  
BasiMath palette and also agree with:-

> I tried all 10 input forms in the last 2 lines of Basic Bath palette.
> I filled them with undefined symbols like a,b,c and pressed enter.
> My preliminary conclusions:
>
> 1-none of the forms (except the 2 mentiond by David)  have a
> predefined meaning

Sorry for being incomplete initially. This is a surprising QA problem  
for WRI now forwarded to bug reports.

Yours truly ... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc., M.Sc.
sydgeraghty at mac.com
San Jose, CA

My System

Mathematic 6.0.1 for Mac OS X x86 (32 - bit) (June 19, 2007)  License  
L2983-5890
MacOS X V 10.4 .10
MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM

On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:08 AM, magma wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2:47 am, Syd Geraghty <sydgerag... at mac.com> wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> Both can be used correctly on my system. However the sub prefix could
>> be aligned a little lower (eg half the character height) for my  
>> taste.
>>
>> Also I thought in previous versions that hovering the pointer over
>> palette items gave the item name in tooltip fashion which I found
>> useful.
>> That does not work now.
>>
>> One possible reason on my system is that I have magnified the
>> standard palettes to make reading & selection of items easier but I
>> cannot believe this should be the case.
>>
>> Also searching the documentation for a quite a few minutes did not
>> identify the palette items in question.
>>
>> (Even though there is a Prefix Operator defined and there are "Names
>> of Symbols and Mathematical Objects" & "Mathematical Notation
>> Characters"  sections in Help.)
>>
>>> On the BasicMath Palette there are two forms that appear to have
>>> sub and
>>> super scripts in a prefix position. They are the two items on the
>>> right in
>>> the next to last row.
>>
>> Yours truly ... Syd
>>
>> Syd Geraghty B.Sc., M.Sc.
>> sydgerag... at mac.com
>> San Jose, CA
>>
>> My System
>>
>> Mathematic 6.0.1 for Mac OS X x86 (32 - bit) (June 19, 2007)  License
>> L2983-5890
>> MacOS X V 10.4 .10
>> MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2007, at 1:34 AM, David Park wrote:
>>
>>> On the BasicMath Palette there are two forms that appear to have
>>> sub and
>>> super scripts in a prefix position. They are the two items on the
>>> right in
>>> the next to last row.
>>
>>> These do not appear to work at all, and there does not appear to be
>>> corresponding names for them. Does anyone how these work and what
>>> one can do
>>> with them?
>>
>>> David Park
>>
>>> djmp... at comcast.net
>>
>>>  <http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark>http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark
>
> I tried all 10 input forms in the last 2 lines of Basic Bath palette.
> I filled them with undefined symbols like a,b,c and pressed enter.
> My preliminary conclusions:
>
> 1-none of the forms (except the 2 mentiond by David)  have a
> predefined meaning
> 2- the ones mentioned by David generate a syntax error.
> Mathematica apparently expects something more or something different
> than undefined  a,b symbols.
>
> These 2 input forms could be used in Chemistry to indicate atomic
> properties or perhaps in mathematical physics to indicate some special
> function.
>
> They might  have a preassigned meaning, since Mathematica expects a
> more complex input syntax.
>



  • Prev by Date: Re: efficient programming problem
  • Next by Date: Re: Re: Vieta infinite product formula
  • Previous by thread: Re: Prefix Forms on the BasicMath Palette
  • Next by thread: Re: Prefix Forms on the BasicMath Palette