Re: disable "disable dynamic updating?"?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84203] Re: disable "disable dynamic updating?"?
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:48:14 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 13, 12:26 am, "dabro... at indiana.edu" <dabro... at indiana.edu>
wrote:
> How do I tell Mathematica to stop asking me if I want to "Disable
> Dynamic Updating"?  It's really getting on my nerves.

As is stated in the dialog you mention, edit the values of the
TrustedPath and/or UntrustedPath options in the Preferences dialog.
Though before doing so, please take a moment to consider the security
implications.  If you download a notebook from an untrusted website or
receive a notebook via email and open it, Mathematica could
automatically execute (potentially malicious) code with no additional
steps.  This is discussed in the tutorial/NotebookSecurity
documentation page.

Another option would be to simply store your notebooks somewhere
besides your Desktop directory.  From the mentioned documentation:

By default, the UntrustedPath option value contains the user's desktop
folder (where web browser downloads are likely to be stored), the
user's configuration folder (where email attachments are likely to be
stored), and the computer's temporary directory. If the user has
configured his or her web browser or email program to save downloaded
files in nonstandard locations, then the user is encouraged to add
these locations to the UntrustedPath option value.

Yet another option would be to upgrade from 6.0.0 to 6.0.1.  6.0.1 has
a better notion of what dynamic content is safe, and will therefore
put up the warning dialog less frequently with the default settings.

-Rob