Re: Timing and Pi

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84321] Re: Timing and Pi
  • From: Camille JORDAN <ynceraj at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:11:52 -0500 (EST)

I am running a Windows Vista with Quad Processors. 2.40 GHz and 4 gig ram.
I believe that the machine being a Quad processor had no influence in
the performance maybe no more than a dual core since Mathematica 6.0.1
will not take into account any of the other 3 processors since for
that Wolfram sells Mathematica Personal Grid.
any ways the timing on my machine was 2.324 seconds.

I decided to run it again and the answer was 0. seconds. I guess
Mathematica is smart to keep the prior result in memory! I ran a few
more times and the answer was not exactly the same all the time. Some
times I got 2.434 and other close values to 2.324. I quit the kernel
before each run to make sure I did not have any precomputed values in
memory and also computed 2^2 as first operation just to load up the
kernel.