Re: Conversion back to excel date format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73130] Re: Conversion back to excel date format
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 07:05:16 -0500 (EST)

Clifford Martin wrote:
> I have a list of numbers I've calculated. The last element in the list is a date in Mathematica format. I needed it to be in that format to use the Miscellaneous`Calendar functions. When I'm done I output the list (of lists) to a txt file and read it into Excel. (The guy I'm working with can only use Excel).
>
> So the list looks something like this for 1 row
>
> {{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,{2004,11,15}}} where a,b,c,d,e,f,g are numbers I've calculated. I'd like to convert the last element (the date) into a date format compatible with Excel such as 11/15/2004 before I export the data. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I do not have Excel on this computer, but I believe that if you convert
the Mathematica dates into text strings, Excel should handle them
correctly. You could try,

In[1]:=
data = {{a, b, c, d, e, f, g, {2004, 11, 15}},
{h, b, c, d, e, f, g, {2005, 11, 15}},
{i, b, c, d, e, f, g, {2003, 11, 15}},
{j, b, c, d, e, f, g, {2004, 12, 12}}};

In[2]:=
data /. {y_, m_, d_} :> StringJoin[ToString[m], "/", ToString[d], "/",
ToString[y]]

Out[2]=
{{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,11/15/2004},
{h,b,c,d,e,f,g,11/15/2005},
{i,b,c,d,e,f,g,11/15/2003},
{j,b,c,d,e,f,g,12/12/2004}}

Note that the above transformation rule might not be the most efficient
if the list is large. But a least you can check with Excel the text
string transformation works.

Regards,
Jean-Marc