Fitting data to a curve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73221] Fitting data to a curve
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p at dirac.org>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 03:34:02 -0500 (EST)

I have a table of {x,y} data and a function:

   a y^2 + b x y + c x + d y + e  =  x^2

I'd like to do a least fit to determine the constants a, b, c, d, and e.  I
think the function I want is Fit[] or FindFit[], but I can't coax Mathematica to do
this.  I'm not entirely sure what to do with that x^2 since it has no
coefficient.

I've never used these functions before; how can I do this least squares fit?

Thanks!