Eigensystem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73352] Eigensystem
  • From: "Vadim Smelyanskiy" <vadim at email.arc.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:01:54 -0500 (EST)

I am a user of Mathematica 5.2 for Windows. I am using Eigensystem function
on the matrix 900x900.
Every time I do this calculation my MemoryInUse[] functions returns
significantly greater value.
I would like to know if there is any way to clear the memory after each
calculation. Say I have a loop and on each step of the loop I use
Eigensystem to calculate first 2 eigenvalues and eigenvectors and then I do
something with them so my final results is a set of co-numbers I do not need
to keep the whole matrix and any othe garbage from one step of the loop to
another.
Is it any way to clear out it at each step. Or even if there is no way to do
it in a loop, may be I can do it manually other then just quitting?

Previosu versions of mathematica had  CleanSlate command. But it never
really wroked well for me. Plus I do not see it in current versions.

Thank you very much in advance.

vadim