Question: Plots via command-line using front-end fonts?

Hello,

I'd like to generate plots noninteractively (e.g., from a makefile,
possibly on a remote machine).  While my math kernel will definitely
produce and export EPS files  (e.g., pl = Plot[...]; Export[fname, pl,
"EPS"];), some fonts are apparently not available through the kernel
and are handled by the front end.

So I have two questions:

(1) can the kernel be made aware of the other fonts that the front end
uses, or

(2) can the front end be run *noninteractively* to produce and export
plots, or

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!