Re: Symbol name extraction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73752] Re: Symbol name extraction
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 05:51:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

The easy way to get your definitions into a file is "Save". If you still

want to go the hard way, here it is:

First, the argument of an ordinary function will be evaluated.

Therefore, your function does not see the symbol at all. Therefore, we

need the attribute "HoldFirst" or "HoldAll".

Second, the same problem appears with the function Map inside

printSymbol. You could define a new function myMap that has the

necessary attribute, but I think an easier approach is to declare your

function for a single argument and to give it the additional attribute

"Listable".

Third, the argument from SymbolName has to be protected against

evaluation by "Unevaluated".

Fourth, FullForm does not return a string, you have to convert.

Here we go: