Re: Trouble with reading from file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72720] Re: Trouble with reading from file
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 03:35:42 -0500 (EST)

On 1/15/07 at 5:11 AM, schnabl at ias.edu (Martin Schnabl) wrote:

>I have computed fair number of data which I stored in a file using
>FormatType -> OutputForm option in OpenWrite. The trouble is that
>numbers like 10^6 are now written in two lines and I haven't managed
>to convince Mathematica to read back what it has written. Any advice
>?

When I have such large data sets I want saved from Mathematica
that I do not intend to utilize in some other piece of software,
I generally use Put or >>, 1.e.,

data>>"data to be saved.txt";

Then I can quickly read it back with Get or <<, i.e.,

data=<<"data to be saved.txt";

The resulting file is ASCII and can be moved to a different
platform with Mathematica. And because it is ASCII, it can be
read by other software. But this latter usually requires a bit
of manipulation before it works well.

If the data will only be used on one particular machine with
Mathematica installed you might find DumpSave better as it will
save and restore the data more quickly. But be aware, the format
of the resulting file is not portable across platforms.