Re: Re: Re: Re: Limit and Root Objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72708] Re: [mg72668] Re: [mg72644] Re: [mg72620] Re: Limit and Root Objects
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:47:24 -0500 (EST)

I am sorry but I am about to give up. Let me explain  it again but
for the last time really. And please do not send me any animations
because I never look at them. To tell the truth I have not even
looked at one of them. Everything I have written and am writing is
well known mathematics and it is you who are completely confused.

The point is this. It is possible to define a continuous function
from the set of complex polynomials of degree d with the topology
given by considering the coefficients as elements of C to the
topological space consisting of unordered d-tuples {x1,x2,...,xd},
with the topology of the so called symmetric product of C. In
intuitive language, the set of roots as set or un-ordered d-tuple
does depend continuously on the coefficients of the polynomial. But
it is impossible to continuously choose one root out of this
unordered set and obtain in this way a continuous function on the
space of all complex polynomials (or even on the smaller space of
polynomials minus the determinant). It is impossible intuitively
because  there is no natural way to choose one root out of an
unordered set. In more precise topological language the reason is
that you are dealing with a non trivial covering space, which does
not have a global continuous section. This is what Adam's proof
shows. It has nothing whatever to do with Root objects, Mathematica
but it is only mathematics and well known mathematics, so there can
be no dispute about it.

As I wrote above, I definitely give up. If you can't follow this then
you should just accept that topology, even basic one is not something
that very congenial to you, and leave it at that.

Anyway, I can't devote any more time or effort to this matter. If any
body else would like to try (Adam) then please do. Alternatively,
perhaps you should write to a mathematical site, for example you
could try the Hopf topology group run by Don Davies,
dmd1 at lehigh.edu , and ask about this matter and perhaps you will find
somebody with better pedagogical skills then mine. There are also
other sites run by professional mathematicians who answer general
questions of this kind. Or you could try writing to Dave Rusin
(rusin at math.niu.edu), he is a topologist and I think he likes
answering questions of this kind. Also, he has much more experience,
patience and pedagogical skill than me.
Perhaps some other mathematicians on the list (Adam, Daniel ?) might
want to explain it better, but as for me I am form now on only
willing to discuss mathematica and not mathematics, and definitely
not anything remotely topological.

Andrzej Kozlowski