Re: Difficulties with Complex-Modulus Series

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72753] Re: [mg72712] Difficulties with Complex-Modulus Series
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 07:41:00 -0500 (EST)

The absolute value function is not differentiable so Mathematica
naturally does not know what its derivative might be. The evaluator
does not automatically perform any but the simplest simplifications.
But all you need to do to avoid this problem is:

r = (2*I+x)/(2*I-x);R=Abs[r];

In[4]:=
Series[ComplexExpand[R],{x,0,4}]

Out[4]=
1

In[5]:=
Series[ComplexExpand[R],{x,Infinity,4}]

Out[5]=
1

Not too much to ask, it seems to me.

Moral: computer programs and even Mathematica, are not human, yet.

Andrzej Kozlowski