Re: WhichRootOfUnity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73059] Re: WhichRootOfUnity
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:48:51 -0500 (EST)

Artur wrote:
> << NumberTheory`NumberTheoryFunctions`
> WhichRootOfUnity[(-1 + I Sqrt[3])/2]
>
> Who knows how this function works because nothing happened when I executed
> this procedure.
>
> ARTUR

Hi Artur,

I do not know what's going on: I have tried the example given in the
online help and no output was returned.
In[1]:=
Needs["NumberTheory`NumberTheoryFunctions`"]

In[2]:=
?WhichRootOfUnity

"WhichRootOfUnity[a] returns {n,k} if a = Exp(2 Pi I k / n) for
a (unique) pair of nonnegative coprime integers k and n with k<n,
otherwise returns unevaluated."

In[3]:=
WhichRootOfUnity[(1+I Sqrt[3])/2]

In[4]:=
$Version

Out[4]=
5.2 for Microsoft Windows (June 20, 2005)

Regards,
Jean-Marc