Bug in CreateDirectory?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78516] Bug in CreateDirectory?
  • From: Markus Huber <mhla at gmx.at>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 05:36:57 -0400 (EDT)

Under certain circumstances I got some strange behavior with M6 when
using CreateDirectory:

CreateDirectory["c:\\test"]

CreateDirectory::nffil: File not found during CreateDirectory[c:
\test]. >>

I traced the error back until I found out that this only occurs when I
used StringPosition first. E.g.

StringPosition["a", "a", MetaCharacters -> Automatic];

CreateDirectory["c:\\test"]

leads to the error above (make sure the directory does not exist when
trying).
Evaluating CreateDirectory a second time makes no problems. So it
seems that CreateDirectory gets somehow confused when using the
MetaCharacters option.

Can anyone confirm this? I run M6 on WinXP.

By the way: This is how I circumvented the problem:
Just insert any StringPosition command after the first one, but
without the MetaCharacters option (or set it to None, the default
value).