The Mathematica Book, Electronic Media and MathWorld

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78524] The Mathematica Book, Electronic Media and MathWorld
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 05:41:05 -0400 (EDT)

Murray has always been a great correspondent who can correct my errors and
advance any endeavor.

We almost all love books. They still have some advantage over electronic
media because of their portability. And right now there is probably more
technical material in books than in electronic media. (This however will
quickly change.) They make great collectors items. As technical documents
that is about the end of their advantages. Mathematica notebooks and pdf
documents are far superior - but unfortunately not MathWorld.

Some of the decisive disadvantages of books and other printed media are:

1) They are often full of errors and misprints and can't be easily updated.
Mathematica notebooks, if written in an active style, are to a large extent
self-proofing.

2) Technical books are often too brief. They don't have room for many
examples, or examples that require larger output. The old Mathematica Book
was quite long and heavy but still in many places too concise to easily
understand all the commands. The new features would have doubled the size
and weight of the book and still probably have been too concise. Electronic
media can contain much more material, perhaps even with alternative
approaches that a reader can choose among. Writers of electronic media don't
have to be as concerned with bulk and space.

3) Printed technical books are too expensive.

4) Printed technical books are not always more convenient. For example, many
of them will not lie flat! They are strictly a two-hand operation. How many
times have you had to work between some book and a Mathematica notebook and
found that you were always fighting with the book to keep its position? The
Mathematica help documentation stays open to where you want and you don't
have to change your physical position to access it. At meals I always like
to read something or other. I can either read magazines or books or material
on our laptop. I find that I more and more gravitate to the laptop because
it is easier. The vertical screen is better than the horizontal book and I
can usually enlarge the type to make it easy to read. And I have access to
more material from the web.

However, we are still learning how to write Mathematica notebooks and
electronic media. In my opinion it should be a natural extension of the
classical style that incorporates the active elements of Mathematica. But
there is a lot to complain about in some of the current attempts.

Take MathWorld. Here is a site that is top notch, A+++, as far as content
and organization go. But in my opinion it is a poor web site because it does
not adhere to modern web standards. The text, especially in the equations is
far too small and non-adjustable. It is much smaller and with less line
spacing than any technical book I can pick off my shelf. Also, the font used
for the equations is quite poor. The web page magnification doesn't work
either because then the inline formulas no longer fit in properly and
overlay parts of the text. Also, sometimes with magnification the text wraps
properly and sometimes it does not so one has to do horizontal scrolling.
This is a case where electronic media does not live up to its promise - but
purely for typological and technical reasons and not at all due to the
excellent content.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net