Re: Version 6 NotebookPrint to file not woking for me

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78669] Re: Version 6 NotebookPrint to file not woking for me
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 03:32:08 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Fisher wrote:
> Jean-Marc Gulliet wrote:
>> Mark Fisher wrote:
>>> I see that NotebookPrint can take a file name as a second argument such
>>> as "test.pdf". On my system this does not seem to actually write a file
>>> or produce any output. If this is working for others, I'll try again; if
>>> not, I'll report it as a bug (if someone hasn't reported it already).
>>>
>>> $Version --> "6.0 for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (April 20, 2007)"
>>>
>>> --Mark Fisher
>> Mark,
>>
>> The following works fine on my system: I can open the newly created file
>> in Acrobat Reader. The PDF document is created int the directory pointed
>> by the system symbol $UseDocumentDirectory. Have you check there? (Note
>> that Mathematica does not return any messages that would indicate that
>> it successfully created the file.)
>>
>> In[1]:= nb = CreateDocument[{x^2}];
>> NotebookPrint[nb, "temp.pdf"]
>>
>> In[3]:= $UserDocumentsDirectory
>>
>> Out[3]= "C:\\Documents and Settings\\Jean-Marc\\Mes documents"
>>
>> In[4]:= $Version
>>
>> Out[4]= "6.0 for Microsoft Windows (32-bit) (April 20, 2007)"
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jean-Marc
>>

> Ah-ha! $UserDocumentsDirectory! Never heard of it. I've been using
> Mathematic since Version 2.2. It appears to be new in Version 6. I
> expected NotebookPrint to write to the directory returned by Directoy[].
>    I didn't see $UserDocumentDirectory mentioned in the documentation
> for NotebookPrint. Is there something I *should* have done to discover
> this? How do you know about it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --Mark

Mark,

Although I do not remember exactly how I have came to know this system
symbol, I would bet it was when I listed some system variables from
within the front end with some commands such as ?$*User* or ?$*Directory*.

The documentation center appears to say something about the directory
structure at guide/DirectoriesAndDirectoryOperations

Best regards,
Jean-Marc