Re: Contours plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg78875] Re: Contours plot
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 06:22:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

can you be more precise ?
Contours are typical use an implicit equation f[x,y,z]==c and c is the
contour level, by changing the contour value you get multiple contours.
Parametric curves/ surfaces have an explicit form
{x,y,z}=={X[u,v],Y[u,v],Z[u,v]} and you have a single surface and no
contour level ...
The first form of equation is drawn with ContourPlot3D[], the second one
with ParametricPlot3D[].

But it is an contradiction to plot contours of an parametric surface.
Yu can try to make an implicit algebraic equation from your parametric
curve, but this is in many cases not possible.

Regards
   Jens